Formed of a body of leaders from around the global network of Hogan Lovells and from business, social enterprise and other professions, who will act as ambassadors of, and advisers to, the business and social enterprise training program (the "Program"). Members of the Visiting Committee will be committed to the objectives of the Program. The Chair and the Dean will be members of the Visiting Committee.
Term of Office:
Three years and, thereafter, will be eligible for re-election each year by the then members of the Visiting Committee.
Frequency of meetings of the Visiting Committee:
The Visiting Committee shall meet on two occasions each year and will hold such other ad hoc meetings as the Chair, in conjunction with the Dean, shall consider necessary.
• To ensure that the principles of the Program are followed and to ensure at all times the delivery of the objectives
• To broadly review the Program educational programs and ensure that the programmes are subject to continual improvement and updating by the Dean and the Faculty to ensure delivery of the objectives
• To advise on developments, risks and opportunities relevant to the Programme
• To assses the impact of the Program in bringing about a change of culture which ensures that enterprise and social impact is placed at the heart of service delivery
• At the request of the Dean, to review any particular aspect of the Program
• To make recommendations to the Faculty and to the Hogan Lovells IMC and to advise the Faculty on its strategy and implementation where applicable
• To periodically review the governance structure for the Program to ensure it remains fit for purpose
1. The Visiting Committee shall conduct through the Faculty and the Dean, the general business of HL BaSE being training and education consistent with:
(a) its core values of enterprise and diversity which ensures:
(i) the firm develops and retains lawyers who are more confident, more entrepreneurial and, therefore, more successful work winners and who have the legal skills to interact effectively with clients;
(ii) the firm's brand is better aligned with the direction of travel of progressive corporates in relation to positive impact and sustainability as a key element of core businesses; and
(iii) an emphasis is placed on economic, social and financial returns for the betterment of both the firm and its clients; and
(b) the objectives of Hogan Lovells.
2. The Visiting Committee is not a committee of the Board of Hogan Lovells and does not have the power to act in the name of the Board.
3. Subject to these Principles, the Visiting Committee in addition to having all powers necessary to further the objects of HL BaSE and to all other powers vested in it, shall have the following powers:
(a) to govern, manage and regulate the finances, business and all affairs whatsoever of HL BaSE in the same manner as an individual may manage his own affairs and property and for these purposes to appoint any officers or agents whom it deems expedient to appoint;
(b) on the advice of the Faculty, to provide education and training for employees of Hogan Lovells and others considered appropriate and facilities for study and the advancement and dissemination of knowledge whether for the benefit of students of HL BaSE or for that of others by all appropriate means;
(c) on the advice of the Faculty, to prescribe the conditions for the admission of those attending HL BaSE and standards for the regulation and superintendence of the education of those attending HL BaSE;
(d) on the advice of the Faculty, to prescribe the conditions governing the award of certificates of HL BaSE, the designations thereof (if any) and the examinations therefor and to make such awards;
(e) on the advice of the Faculty, to prescribe the conditions governing the award of all prizes and other honors of whatever nature;
(f) to promote an association of past students of HL BaSE;
(g) from time to time at any meeting of the Visiting Committee to make, amend or revoke rules and regulations directed at the conduct of the business or affairs of HL BaSE;
(h) to appoint the Chair on the recommendation of the Dean upon such conditions as the Visiting Committee may think fit and to make recommendations to the Chair in respect of appointments to the Visiting Committee;
(i) to appoint the Dean on the recommendation of the Chair upon such conditions as the Visiting Committee may think fit and to make recommendations to the Dean in respect of appointments to the Faculty;
(j) to enter into, and give effect to, agreements or arrangements of any kind with, or in relation to, other institutions (charitable or otherwise) whose objects are not repugnant to HL BaSE, Hogan Lovells or these Principles whereby:
(i) activities shall be carried on in co-operation by means of joint boards, ventures or otherwise; or
(ii) any such institution shall become incorporated in, federated or affiliated to, associated with, or recognized for any purpose by HL BaSE, or HL BaSE shall become affiliated to, associated with or recognized for any purpose by any such institution; or
(iii) the members, staff or students of HL BaSE and any such body as aforesaid, or the courses of study provided by HL BaSE and any such body as aforesaid, shall be recognized for any purpose by HL BaSE and any such body; and
(k) to do all such other acts and things as are necessary for the transaction of the business of HL BaSE or the furtherance of its objects.