HL BaSE held its first virtual HL BaSE Training programme, Hogan Lovells' award-winning MBA-style course designed to give our junior lawyers a sharper commercial edge, as well as instill a solid understanding of the importance of social enterprise and social impact to today’s economy. The virtual programme welcomed over 160 delegates from 27 offices across Europe, Asia, Australia, China, the UAE and the UK.
"HL BaSE training is truly an impactful and rewarding experience for those who put in the effort and are not afraid to give it their best at facing a real client with legal issues in a fail-safe environment. It is equally rewarding for me as a mentor to observe our juniors in action and to provide timely feedbacks and encouragement."
Louise Leung, Partner, Hogan Lovells, Hong Kong
"The time with our team was invaluable as they got to understand Mandala as an organisation and together we reached clarity on how they could help us and the stages we needed to go through, plus a timeline."
Yasmin Sidwha, Mandala Theatre Company
Mark Cheng, Senior Advisor at Ashoka, the global network of leading social innovators, facilitated interactive lectures on business fundamentals with a cross-border focus and the role law firms can take in helping clients to achieve their goals.
22 fantastic social enterprises from France, Germany, the Netherlands, Italy, Hong Kong, China, Singapore and the UK joined delegates on the third day of the programme for the client workshops. Our social enterprise clients are matched with a small team of lawyers who will go on to provide 6 months of pro bono legal advice.
Details of the 2020 social entrepreneurs can be found here: https://www.hoganlovellsbase.com/hl-base-training-2020/social-entrepreneur-biographies. They included:
- Mygrants is an educational online platform based in Italy which facilitates the recognition and development of migrants and refugees’ skills. Mygrants assists new arrivals through their mobile devices on their journey to self-dependence and integration in their host country.
- Climate Bonds Initiative ("CBI") is an international organisation working solely to mobilise the $100 trillion bond market for climate change solutions. CBI aims to develop a large and liquid Green and Climate Bonds Market that will help drive down the cost of capital for climate projects in developed and emerging markets and to support governments seeking to tap debt capital markets.
- Do it Now Now ("DINN") is an innovative UK based organisation committed to the social empowerment of Black communities across the globe. DINN seeks to design the experience of engaging with the social support ecosystem anew so that people of colour are given the opportunity to engage successfully with the structure that exists to empower change-makers and innovators in civil society.
- The Generation Forest cooperative is based in Germany, and is dedicated to fostering a healthy global climate by planting as many forests as possible, as sustainably as possible, all while working hand in hand with local people. The generation forest concept the cooperative has developed is an alternative and successful land-use model for the future – conservation through production.
- Diversity and Ability is an award-winning disabled-led social enterprise based in the UK, which is paving the way for a future where everyone is welcomed and included. Diversity and Ability supports individuals, organisations and social justice projects to create inclusive cultures where diversity is valued and people can thrive.
- Fair Employment Agency ("FEA") is a non-profit domestic worker employment agency based in Hong Kong, which aims to eradicate forced labour of migrant domestic workers by providing ethical recruitment business solutions. FEA has now placed over 4,000 migrant workers, and is now one of the top ten biggest employment agencies in Hong Kong.
"My legal team were on point, their questions were really helpful in terms of reminding me of things I have thought about previously but haven't thought much about recently. They were clear throughout the whole process on what we were going to do and next steps, the mentors were really useful too, in terms of making sure that nothing was left unsaid."
Yomi Ajilore, beBrave Network